Wednesday, June 13, 2007

Bird Announcement

Hooray! We've got babies! So far only two have hatched. There were a total of five eggs, but it's not unusual for the eggs to not hatch all at the same time. Hopefully, tomorrow we'll have more. They look so fragile at this stage. So tiny you feel sorry for them. Here you can only see one in this picture.


I whistled and they open their mouths for me. This is a good way to get a beak count.

2 beaks = 2 babies.


I shot a few seconds of video. It's kind of hard to see because it's dark in the birdhouse. Towards the end, you get a good view, so watch the entire 30 seconds. Mrs. Blue was nearby in the oak tree off to the side during all of this. She is used to me and doesn't mind if I look at her babies. I was able to guess that there was some hatching going on today because of Mr. and especially Mrs. Blue's behavior. They feed the baby birds twice per hour. So when I saw them flying to and from, in and out of the birdhouse, I knew what they were doing. Today is 14 days since she started incubation. Press the play button arrow on the image below to view the video.

No comments: